7.13.2009

Coming This Week: It’s Wednesday Again, Vertigo Takes Control, And The Long Lost Killer

Every week I review Diamond's “New Releases” to determine what I’ll definitely be buying sight unseen, what I’m interested in enough to do a quick scan of at the LCS to see if it can win me over, and note any other items that catch my eye. Here’s a look…

Buying:

Scalped #30 (DC/Vertigo): Another installment, and beginning of a new story arc, of the best Vertigo book currently being published, courtesy of Jason Aaron and R.M. Guera.

DMZ #43 (DC/Vertigo): Yes, it’s a Vertigo kind of week.

Wednesday Comics #2 (DC): After the near universally lauded initial offering, this week should test the mettle of the sustainability of this format.

The Killer #9 (Archaia): The newly named Archaia, nee Archaia Studios Press (ASP), finally gets around to putting out the penultimate issue of this terrific series from Luc Jacamon & Matz.

Considering:

It might be interesting to see how DC handles a prose preview in Fables #1: Peter & Max (DC/Vertigo) for a mere $1. After the lackluster contents of issues #0 and #1, I decided to forego Buck Rogers #2 (Dynamite Entertainment), but oh those Cassaday covers might convince me otherwise. Finally, we’re treated to another format of Alan Moore’s Lost Girls HC (Top Shelf).

Noting:

What’s with all the reprints of the awful comics that came out recently? Red Robin #1: Second Printing (DC), New Mutants #2: Second Printing (Marvel), and X-Men Forever #1: Second Printing (Marvel), I’m talking to you. For $25, Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? HC (DC) doesn’t seem like a great deal, even though it does collect the Batman and Detective Comics two parter that initially ran, along with Secret Origins #36, Secret Origins: Special #1, and Batman: Black & White #2. I thought the Batman issue was solid, the Detective Comics wrap up a little less so; think this HC might be for die hard fans only. Blade Runner inspiration Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep #1 (Boom!) looks interesting in that Warren Ellis provides an end piece of some type and that it’s serialized over two years (this being issue 1 of 24), but I’m already tired of the looting of aged properties, ala Creepy #1 (Dark Horse) also this week.

2 Comments:

At 5:20 AM, Blogger Matt Clark said...

How long has it been since the last issue of The Killer?? I'm glad to see it back though as I was beginning to worry that I'd have to learn French to read the conclusion!

Will give Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? a punt to see what kind of approach they're taking, and will have to look at Creepy too as I've recently enjoyed flicking through the archive editions. I doubt the new version will match up but you never know, it could surprise me!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Matt,

Dude, it's been forever! My records show #8 was nearly a year ago (8/20/08) and then they did that double tap releasing #'s 5 and 6 on 10/24/07. Couldn't find any info for #7, but it's been FOREVER basically. Really want that second hardcover and then just call it a day. For my money, the best title Archaia has published.

DADoES? has been getting mixed reviews online, but mostly positive. Sounds like it might be worth it for the Warren Ellis essay alone.

Best,

J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home