8.10.2009

Coming This Week: Mutant Killers on Wednesdays in the De-Militarized Zone

Every week I review Diamond's “New Releases” to determine what I’ll definitely be buying sight unseen, what I’m interested in enough to do a quick scan of at the LCS to see if it can win me over, and note any other items that catch my eye. Here’s a look…

Buying:

The Killer #10 (Archaia): Could it actually be the last issue of the Archaia book, nee: Archaia Studios Press (ASP), The Killer? I certainly hope so, though I’ve been unable to confirm via their always-out-of-date web-site. That’ll make it, let’s see… almost three years (first issue came out in December of ’06) to put out a 10 issue series which had already been translated and published in Belgium. Archaia now seems adamant about putting out the second hardcover this year as well.

Wednesday Comics #6 (DC): At this point, I’m basically just buying it for Strange Adventures, Batman, and Kamandi. And I’m ok with that. The rest is a bonus, and the experimental foray is commendable.

DMZ #44 (DC/Vertigo): Having devoured the first two Northlanders trades I picked up from Brian Wood at SDCC, I feel a sort of renewed appetite for his work.

Uncanny X-Men #514 (Marvel): Fraction's usually got some interesting things to say, I hope they're unfettered by the influence of Dark Utopia, err... is that even what it's called or did I just make that up by mixing two things? Umm, Dark Avengers. Dark X-Men. X-Men: Utopia. Oh, I give up, you know what I mean...

Considering:

Red Herring #1 (DC/Wildstorm): I’m not crazy about the concept, but the creative team of David “Bite Club” Tischman and Philip “Vimanarama” Bond is always worth a look.

Noting:

Stephen Colbert’s Tek Jansen HC (Oni Press): Yeah yeah yeah, I know the Writer’s Strike interrupted this, but sheesh, that’s two years (first issue came out in July of ’07) and change to collect 5 issues or something.

BPRD: 1947 #2 and Hellboy: Wild Hunt #5 (Dark Horse): I really lost my taste for all things Hellboy, it got so repetitive and unresolved for me, but it’s nice to see the titles continue to chug forward.

Sandman by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby HC (DC): Pretty cool to see a collection of the “brightly costumed adventurer” of the 1940’s finally collected in a massive 300+ page tome for only $39.99.

Kabuki Reflections #14 (Marvel/Icon): Snark on. What’s left to reflect on? Snark off. Don’t get me wrong, I love David Mack’s work, but he hasn’t been terribly prolific in the last few years, there just isn’t a lot of content left to examine the behind-the-scenes production on.

Lockjaw & The Pet Avengers #4 (Marvel): One of the most fun series Marvel has managed to put out in the last couple of years, with some really breathtaking art. Will probably plunk down for the eventual collected edition of this.

Sea Donkey Surprise:

Due to last week’s LCS follies, I’m still in need of Echo #14 (Abstract Studio), Frankenstein’s Womb (Avatar Press), and Dark Reign: Zodiac #2 (Marvel). Now you might ask what I want with that last title, but hey, it’s Joe Casey doing wild characterization and Nathan Fox's confectionary Pope-discipled art. Will these titles magically show up this week, a week late, as they are so often wont to inexplicably do? Stay tuned…

2 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever explained why you call him sea donkey?

Also, why do you support his business if he's so detestable?

just curious...

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Short answer? Because I think it’s funny and… because there’s no alternative.

Long Answer? The image that name conjures up, of a donkey floundering around in the ocean trying to keep its head above water, perfectly captures the proprietor of my LCS frantically cracking open Diamond boxes on Wednesday morning (sometimes afternoon), not having ordered the precise book I seem to want, sweat dripping from his brow, phone ringing, agitated tone in his voice, and impatient customers stammering around. I admit, I do have to give credit to an old co-worker/friend, Ashvin, for coining the term, at least in our little social circle. It was originally used as a pejorative term for the uhh… unattractive young ladies he’d encounter.

As for supporting Sea Donk’s business, it’s simply the “best of the worst” in San Diego. It’s not as offensive as any of the other shops. It’s also in a fairly convenient location in between home, my office in downtown San Diego, and my office in La Jolla. That’s not to say I wouldn’t drive to a quality shop, but sadly there just isn’t one to even consider. It’s probably a Grade B- shop, in that it has what I want about 80% of the time, but you have to put up with poor customer service and illogical ordering practices. Unfortunately, it’s the only viable option unless I want to drive to LA or do the mail order thing, neither of which are terribly appealing.

My long-standing contention is that I was spoiled by all of the wonderful retailers in the San Francisco Bay Area.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home