8.24.2009

Coming This Week: Of Bat-People, Injuns, and Experiments

Every week I review Diamond's “New Releases” to determine what I’ll definitely be buying sight unseen, what I’m interested in enough to do a quick scan of at the LCS to see if it can win me over, and note any other items that catch my eye. Here’s a look…

Buying:

Detective Comics #856 (DC): The Question back-up story still does absolutely nothing for me, but that’s hardly the main reason to be buying this book. Look at that art!

Batman & Robin #3 (DC): With issue #2 coming out July 1st, I guess this is still technically on time with an August cover date, but it sure gives the impression of being late. The perceived lateness isn’t helping matters much considering Quitely isn’t even on board for the entire run (two different artists is really going to bother the obsessive-compulsive in me when it comes time to collect this in handsome hardcovers), but it is off to a great start.

Scalped #31 (DC): If this book gets cancelled because not enough people are reading it, I will actually scalp some muthafuckas. Random digression triggered due to Hmong gangs, but I saw Gran Torino recently and really enjoyed the performances.

Wednesday Comics #8 (DC): I realized that I was already starting to get sad because it feels like this is almost over. Aww, tear.

Considering:

X-Force #18 (Marvel): This is one of those books that’s really on the bubble. It started strong and there’s a few choice moments here and there, but for the most part it’s been a disappointment for the last six months or so. I think I might be buying it out of sheer inertia and that's gotta' stop.

Buck Rogers #3 (Dynamite Entertainment): This book is nowhere near as good as the praise it receives, but damn those Cassady covers are a confectionary delight.

Noting:

Oh well, so much for Archaia getting the second hardcover volume of The Killer out in August; according to Diamond's list, the window for that little parlor trick has now elapsed. As long as they get it out this year though, I think I’ll be satisfied at this point. New Mutants #4 (Marvel) and Secret Warriors #7 (Marvel) are both books I want to read, but I just can’t will myself to purchase them. They seem like suitable bathroom reading material, and they’re both still $2.99 which helps, but I don’t picture myself actually wanting to keep them or upgrade to collected editions eventually, which is really a part of my new criteria for buying something in the first place. X-Force/Cable: Messiah War HC also ships this week. There are some cool individual moments to be found in this mess, but overall there isn’t much in the way of actual story progression or resolution, and for a $39.99 book I’d expect something along those lines. At this point, I think I’d sell all of my single issues that comprise this book for like $10 if anyone cared to plunk down a crisp Alexander Hamilton. It looks like some stores are also getting I Am Legion #5 (DDP/Humanoids) this week (depending on distributor), but no idea if I'll see it at my LCS or not (which usually means no).

6 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger Matt Clark said...

If you round up a scalping posse, you can count me in!

(You haven't heard anything about a cancellation, have you??)

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Hey Matt, no I haven't heard anything, but it makes me really nervous. I see the sales numbers slipping all the time, but I'm hoping it's one of those books that sells well for DC in trades so they'll stick with it!

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Ryan Claytor said...

Hey J,

Wednesday Comics: OMG, I think I was in Africa when this hit the stands. I've been trying to find it @ a local shop and they are SOLD OUT OF EVERY ISSUE!!! I am such a format-whore, I want it and I haven't even seen the thing yet. CAN'T WAIT FOR WEDNESDAY! *giddy*

P.S. After I've missed this many issues, have you heard if they plan on compiling the Wednesday Comics issues into a trade?

P.P.S. Any takers on Blood Orange or other scripts? Just curious.

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Hey Ryan!

You gotta' get 'em, think you'd dig it. Even tough I don't like all of the strips, I love the experience of reading the thing. DC has said that they're doing a second print of at least issues 1 and 2 (which are out this week along with issue 8), so that timing might work for you.

Dan DiDio and Editor Mark Chiarello have both publicly said on more than one occasion that they basically will collect it, but they haven't determined what the size/format would be, so that'll be interesting. Some of the strips just aren't going to reproduce well at regular comic size. I'm hoping for some sort of oversized Absolute Edition sort of package.

I've gotten about half a dozen emails on the scripts, but nothing too serious. An old friend from the Bay Area (hi Grant!) is interested in Blood Orange though and might be taking it on. I'm still secretly hoping that you will do it one day, especially after I saw your dope work on The Machinist! Ha! Love that book.

Have you heard anything back from Isotope?

Best,

J

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Ryan Claytor said...

Hey J,

I don't mean to be a tease, but I WOULD really like to read your script. I've got too much stuff to tackle illustration duties on it, but I'd would like to see what you're up to.

Isotope: I mailed-off my requisite copies. I think I'll only hear IF I'm the winner. At that point, I guess I'd have to find a way to San Francisco...but I'm not holding my breath. :)

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Ryno,

No problemo, would love to get your feedback on the script, I'll shoot you a copy.

Out of curiosity, which book did you submit? If you don't mind me asking... It would be sweet if you won, you could do a little Bay Area tour, hit the APE, Isotope, and all the cool shops.

J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home