8.06.2009

The Continuing Adventures of Sea Donkey


The proprietor of my LCS, aka: Sea Donkey, has pulled some more astounding maneuvers this week. Let’s take a look, shall we?

Terry Moore’s Echo #14 (Abstract Studio): With his track record, I guess I can sort of understand why Sea Donkey wouldn’t have this title given his proclivities to avoid anything smacking of the small press. But… you have all of the SiP trades over there. You have the first Echo trade. I’ve bought most of the other issues from you. I guess unless I’m waiting outside the store like a stalker at 10:59am ready to rush in and push three other people out of the way in order to get the one copy of this book you ordered, I’ll miss it. Jackass.

Frankenstein’s Womb (Avatar Press): Hello, Warren Ellis wrote this. Hello, Warren Ellis is only like one of the hottest writers in the last ten years. Hello, I bought Crecy from you. Hello, I bought Aetheric Mechanics from you. Hello, it’s the same writer. Hello, it’s the same company. Why wouldn’t you order this as well? Hello.

Doom Patrol #1 (DC): I don’t have anything too snarky to add here, as I probably wouldn’t have bought this book anyway, but I just happened to notice you didn’t have this book on the shelves either. It’s a new #1 from Keith Giffen. No, nothing marketable there. Dumb. As usual, my conversation goes a little something like this;

Me: Hey, did you guys get Echo or what?
Sea Donkey: Umm, uhh, I don’t think so.

Really, you don’t think so? What part of it being nowhere in your store makes you uncertain? To add insult to injury, I went to another LCS that’s probably tied with one other for worst store in San Diego. I hate this store, but it’s on my way home so I thought I’d give it a shot. They surprisingly had some back issues of Echo, but not the new #14. Though I did overhear this little diatribe;

Customer: Do you have the second DMZ trade?
Register Jock: Umm, uhh, is that book even out yet?
Customer: Yeah, I think so.
Register Jock: Oh, I’m not sure it is.
Me (Interjecting): Yeah, it is. It’s called Body of a Journalist. The first five or six trades are already out.
Register Jock: Oh… well, we don’t have it.
Customer: Oh.
Me: You can probably find it at the Barnes & Noble just down the street.
Customer: Cool. Thanks.

Anyway, it’s basically days like this that make me want to not do comics anymore. These days it seems like a lot of effort, a considerable amount of money, and diminishing enjoyment.

4 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger DMonkey said...

Sea Donkey...ah yes, we all have them in our lives. Take for instance the gas clerk at our local convenience store. I purchase some fuel for the ride and need a receipt for business purposes. But alas the paper had run out in the machine, so I walk in and ask the clerk if he can print me one out? Here's how it went:

Me - hi, gas pump #xx is out of paper...so can you print me a receipt?

Turkey Grease - ...eh, print you out one Boss? (Indian with an english accent)

Me - yes, pump xx

TG - hang on for a bit (walks away)

Me - uh ok. (getting pissed)

TG - hey boss, what pump?

Me - pump xx (asshead!)

TG - hmmm, never done this before

Me - (never done this before, what the hell? Do you even work here? And call me Boss again and your life is ended)

TG - well, can't seem to figure it out, let me write one out.

Me - (ammussed now) O please do. Make it out to Boss will ya?

TG - to boss?

Me - yes please.

TG - (writing on a scrap of paper) here ya go Boss.

Me - on second thought, why don't you let me take a picture of the cash register and you standing by it...

TG - huh? uh ok

Me - (camera phone) click flash. Thanks.

Thus I hand in my work receipts with this guys hand written piece of scribble and a picture of him by the register.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

The funniest part of this is naming the register jock Turkey Grease... TG! Dude, I totally forgot about that chic.

GobbleGobbleGobble!

J

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Ryan Claytor said...

How did I miss this post? :) I LOVE the Sea Donkey posts! *LOL* And now it is complete with a bonafide Sea Donkey photograph and bonus alternate-sea-donkey story! The Barnes & Noble line is CLASSIC! Ha-ha! After all the trouble I go through to steer people to LCS's INSTEAD of chains, JUST to keep them open another year or two, I'd have to say the B&N comment was totally freakin' valid.

For real,

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

For shame, Ryan! How could you miss it? You're like the honorary Chairman of the Fraternal Order of Sea Donkey Gripers. Haha!

Found some uhh... "interesting" pictues online when searching for quality Sea Donk pics, but got a few for future use.

Yeah, it's not like B&N needs the money, but gosh, I want the poor dude to read Brian Wood's book and don't want to reward a customer service rep with factually inaccurate info. Anywho...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home