9.26.2011

9.28.11 Releases

It’s looking like another pret-ty darn good week of comics for me. Without a doubt, the pick of the week goes to Craig Thompson’s highly anticipated new project, yes, it’s the Habibi GN (Pantheon). I got my hands on it a couple days ago. I’m only about half way through it, but I can already tell you it is amazing and will be on my best of the year list. It’s one of the most beautiful books I’ve ever seen. Period. Out of the New 52 offerings this week, there’s precious little of interest to me. I’ll give the requisite flip to things like All Star Western #1 (DC), Fury of Firestorm #1 (DC), Justice League Dark #1 (DC), Savage Hawkman #1 (DC), Superman #1 (DC), and Voodoo #1 (DC), but honestly only Justice League Dark (premise) and Voodoo (weird WildStorm loyalty) have even a remote chance of making it home. If George Perez were really doing all the art for Superman, I’d probably buy it based on art alone. Heck, I'm a Perez Teen Titans fan from way back! But, it's some weird split where one person is doing layouts and one is doing finishes or something. Marvel is offering up just one book I’m into. Thanks to Warren Ellis, I’ll be picking up Secret Avengers #17 (Marvel). Terry Moore somehow seems to be flying under the radar again; nobody is talking about this book, but I’ll be checking out Rachel Rising #2 (Abstract Studio). Lastly, in the “Pigs Really Do Fly!” Department (I kid because I love!), it’s the long-awaited Wasteland #31 (Oni Press).

2 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Blogger Ryan Claytor said...

Word-up on the Habibi front. I'm on page 250, squeezing brief reads into my tight schedule, but enjoying the epic tale (surprise-surprise, right?). :) Looking forward to your complete review of it. I would imagine a comic book of this size and scope will be a daunting review, since it covers so many themes/topics/layers (Where to start!??!). Regardless, I'll be keepin' my eye out.

Have fun this Wednesday,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

I finished it! But I'm definitely still processing, there's so much to chew on...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home