4.09.2012

4.11.12 Releases

Well, I guess I can’t complain any more that there aren’t any good comics coming out or that I’m tired of these slow weeks where I only pick up one or two issues. This is certainly the biggest week for me so far this year, and probably well into last year. It’s tough to pick just one to lead with, but I’d probably say I’m most excited for Wasteland #36 (Oni Press) because Antony Johnston and Justin Greenwood have been on such a tear in this arc, revealing secret after secret about The Big Wet Universe. However, a very close second is Conan The Barbarian #3 (Dark Horse), because the second issue was one of the best singles I’ve read in quite some time and it’ll be interesting to see Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan attempt to sustain the magic they’ve already bottled. Speaking of Wood, Wednesday marks the end of one of his most epic series ever, with Northlanders #50 (DC/Vertigo). DC tries to offer up a long form Vertigo replacement in the wake of books like DMZ, Northlanders, and Scalped all coming to a close, with Saucer Country #2 (DC/Vertigo) from Paul Cornell and Ryan Kelly. I was intrigued by the debut, so I’m hoping this book will quickly hook me and I can keep a foot in *something* Vertigo. The Distinguished Competition is also offering Batwoman #8 (DC) this week, but who the hell knows what’s going on with the art shake-ups in that book. I’m scared to death that what has served as one of my favorite titles in recent memory is on the verge of being dropped. Gasp! Image Comics continues their run at total domination of the 2012 Comic Book Scene, with Glory #25 (Image), Saga #2 (Image), and Secret #1 (Image) from the always interesting Jonathan Hickman, with art by Red Mass For Mars collaborator Ryan Bodenheim. I’m also very curious to check out the collected edition of The Strange Talent of Luther Strode: Vol. 1 (Image) after someone I know has been raving about it. It looks like The House of Ideas offers me just one slight possibility this week, with Secret Service #1 (Marvel/Icon). I’ve never really warmed to Mark Millar’s writing, but the Dave Gibbons art will surely get the requisite Casual Flip Test at the LCS. I was also pleasantly surprised to see an ongoing version of this series of mini-series from Ted Naifeh, with Courtney Crumrin #1 (Oni Press). Timed just right, the publisher is also offering remastered hardcover special editions of the series, starting with Courtney Crumrin & The Night Things Special Edition: Vol. 1 (Oni Press). I read all of the collected editions of Courtney Crumrin long ago and recall it as being that rare book that is clearly aimed at a younger demographic, but isn’t totally dumbed down, allowing adults to enjoy it just as much. It lives sort of in a dark place between stuff like Harry Potter, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Locke & Key, etc. It’s really good!

4 Comments:

At 5:26 AM, Blogger Tom P said...

Americas got powers by Ross and Hitch, Sir?

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Hey Tom,

At the risk of sounding blasphemous, the creative team does nothing for me, and the high concept even less. I'll give it a flip at the LCS, but I doubt it will make it home! But with so many great books this week, who can complain?!

J

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Tom P said...

Thats cool, I understand. You're correct! Who can complain! Brilliantly strong week. Will also be checking out Alabaster Wolves #1 from Dark Horse. Looks great.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Justin Giampaoli said...

Yeah, I missed that book in the solicits, but saw an advance preview and it looks great! I liked Caitlin Kiernan's old Sandman/The Dreaming spin-off stuff and Steve Lieber is always worth a look, so I'll probably pick that up too! Shoot, that makes like 10 books I'm buying this week!!! ENORMOUS week (for me).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home