7.28.2014

7.23.14 [#BookOfTheWeek]

#BookOfTheWeek is a column brought to you with generous support from our retail sponsor Yesteryear Comics. Make Yesteryear Comics your first and only destination in San Diego for great customer service and the best discounts possible on a wide selection of mainstream and independent titles. Customers receive an attractive 20% discount on new titles during their first week of release. Yesteryear Comics is located at 9353 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard.

Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #1 (IDW): Man, I am absolutely exhausted from the onslaught that is SDCC. That said, #BookOfTheWeek is an abbreviated version of the Weekly Reviews posts that allows me to still get something up when I don’t have the time (or desire) to post full reviews. I read Trees #3 this week from Warren Ellis and Jason Howard and it felt a little off to me, straying perhaps a little too far from the sci-fi premise in favor of human interest stories. Saga #21 was predictably strong, but failed to prompt any additional response. Winterworld #2 was a solid post-apocalyptic romp, and Supreme: Blue Rose #1 offered promising Ellis psycho-futurism with intriguing art. Avengers 100th Anniversary Special #1 was a fun blend of indie and mainstream at the hands of James Stokoe, but if you’re looking for that vibe, then I’ll direct your attention to the brilliant Transformers vs. G.I. Joe #1 at the hands of Tom Scioli and John Barber. With heaps of period research and reference, it captures a perfect aesthetic nostalgia on the page, managing to be both a retro commercialization and somehow an avant-garde art comic all at once. Everyone who, like me, grew up in the 80’s should be reading this book. Grade A+.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home